“Progress will happen, when men take a stand [against gender inequality]. It’s the chivalry of the 21st century.”– Meryl Streep
References made (and forgotten in the process of recording):
- The Joy Luck Club, 1993: film with a Chinese-American (predominantly) female cast.
- The Bechdel-Wallace Test, created by Alison Bechdel: a test which screens movies, checking if they have 1) at least two women in it, who (2) who talk to each other, about (3) something besides a man.
- In Botswana, the law has only just permitted married women to *own land.
- In Nigeria, there are only 3.4% of women in parliament as of 2020. (see page 269)
- Women make up approximately 50% of the world’s population.
- According to the World Economic Forum, it will take 99.5 years for global gender parity to be attained.