home həʊm/nounthe place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.
What does ‘home’ mean to you? Forget the building or specific fixture, but focus on the feeling. What feels like ‘home’ to you?
The more I think about it, the harder it becomes to decipher. All I know is for someone like me who loves laughter, home is wherever I feel like I can relax and my thoughts don’t consume me. Home is wherever I can feel protected and at peace knowing that I’m amongst those who love me. Home is where I feel F R E E.
As much as I have definitely felt this with various groups of people – from my family to my boarding family, to my current housemates; I know for a fact that there is a sense of home that surpasses them all. And that is Home in Christ.
Everyone is searching, for that ‘familiar’, for that ‘freedom’, for that ability to express themselves without fearing judgement. We seek but yet we do not find in this world. But my God tells me: ‘…Seek and you shall find’ (Matthew 7:7) so have we been searching in the wrong places?
Well, to put it bluntly – yes we have. We really have because there is ultimate freedom in Christ. I am home. I am the best possible version of myself in His presence so why ever leave it?
All the HAPPINESS, ACCEPTANCE, SUCCESS & LOVE we yearn for in this life is ours when we make that decision to:
- Dwell in His presence ‘Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) are those who dwell in Your house and Your presence’ (Psalm 84:4)
- Place our strength in Him ‘Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man whose strength is in You……They go from strength to strength (increasing in victorious power)’ (Psalm 84: 5,7)
- Trust in Him ‘Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man who trusts in you’ (Psalm 84:12)
- Commit it ALL to Him ‘Roll your works upon the Lord [commit and trust them wholly to Him; He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will, and] so shall your plans be established and succeed.’ (Proverbs 16:3)
- Confidently look to Him ‘I will lift up my eyes to the hills, from whence shall my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.’ (Psalm 121:1-2)
Now, it is so much easier said than done believe me – I struggle every day with thoughts I shouldn’t be having, actions I shouldn’t have made and overall diabolical decisions. But He works it all for good. He has already promised us all good things for those who make that effort and are consistent in these efforts.
If When we fall, we get back up again.
“No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly” ~ Psalm 84:11
‘No good thing’ – Just imagine that? All your dreams, aspirations, inner hopes guaranteed by simply seeking His face and putting Him first. I don’t know about you but that sounds like a solid contract – no loopholes or exclusion clauses just. that. simple. fact.
So, for anyone who feels confused or misplaced or is searching for a home. Or maybe you’ve felt Home in Christ but Home in the World felt better at the time, just know this Home will never leave. This nest has been prepared for you waiting for you to fly in and dwell in a place where there’s everlasting peace & joy. It’s scary to say goodbye to what you may be used to but trust me when I say all that fear reduces to noise when all you can hear is the sweet, sweet voice of Jesus Christ telling you – ‘I love you.’
He loves you.
He loves you.
HE LOVES YOU.
‘Yes, the sparrow has found a house, and the swallow a nest for herself.’ ~ Psalm 84:3